Teaching- The divine blessing!

 

I always believe that a teacher should not support their students when they do something wrong. I don't think a good teacher will ever do that. Instead point out their mistakes and correct them or else we are spoiling them. Nowadays I have seen and experienced teachers who just wish to get popular among students. All they want is to get the tag the "favourite teacher". And for this they are ready to do "anything" for the students. I fear, is this "anything", good or bad for the students? 

There are 'n' number of ways for being a "good teacher". A "good teacher" can also be a favourite teacher, but a "favourite teacher" will not always be a good teacher. I believe a good teacher is a mentor, communicator and someone who will guide students properly and not always be the "saviour" when they are wrong. If you are supporting students without making them understand their faults; I should say nothing worse you can do as a teacher. 

Teaching is not just a profession and being a teacher is not always an easy task. It's a divine duty that we have been entrusted with. You will need to develop a good bonding with the students. A better teacher should worry more about a student's character growth than academic growth. If you are able to mold them to a better person, then ninety percentage of your duty is done. If you could confidently say that "my students won't do something when I tell them not to", that's something you have to be proud about. I consider it as a successful moment in a teacher's life.

But things have changed a lot these days, I know many teachers who never bother to do justice to this beautiful and unique profession. It's better to call it as passion rather than profession, because only a passionate teacher turn out to be a good teacher. 

Why can't we become their motivator? Why can't we have a good relationship with the students? Why can't we try to know about their inner talents? Why can't be a teacher be the best friend for a student? Why can we be not their enemy?

We should ask these questions to ourselves. We, the teachers should have answers to all these questions.

 

Never go for a statement that, he/she is not a good or capable student only by the marks they have scored in the exams. There might be plentiful things in which that particular student will be good at. Explore the multitude of skills in them. Encourage them to be the best in whatever they do and help them to improve themselves by strengthening the weaknesses. If we could give a little more attention to the weaker ones or slow learners is a more apt word I guess, it would make a big difference. Trust me! It really worked in my thing.

Also it's not always a good idea to make them do better by extreme punishments and scoldings. Sometimes it works but not always. Not all the students are with same mental strength and physical capabilities. Some are strong but there are students whom we need to handle with care. Some students are very sensitive and emotionally not that strong, they are to be dealt with utmost care. So unnecessary scoldings can also create troubles. But we should handle such situations in a more matured way. Though we might be a fresher in this profession, being a just passed out ( nowadays there are more number of young faculty) we should learn to act matured and behave as a faculty. Always keep in mind that we are no more a 'student' but a 'faculty'. The mental state of a student and a faculty is way different. Also the word 'patriality' should not be there in the dictionary of a teacher. Yes of course we all are humans and it's very much okay to have your favourites, but make sure that it won't reflect in anything you do. Don't make it evident to students. And it's a very good thing to be friendly with students but always draw a line and never let them go overboard. Make it clear to them where their limit is, never allow them to misuse the freedom they get. Yet another important thing is that, always give respect and take respect. Respect is something you earn not something you demand.

Teaching is a continuous learning process, each day we will learn something new, be it academical or personal. We should try to evolve as a teacher, but it will take time. But this process of evolution as a better teacher is amazingly beautiful. As a teacher I know I'm not perfect, but I'm sure I try to be more better everyday. Even today I've learned and realised something which I will take it as a -lesson for life!  I'm ready to go that extra mile if it's "good" for my kids.

I'm not someone to comment something on what makes a good teacher or who's a good teacher. Because I'm no one to do the same. I don't have much of experience to say anything about this. But I have seen and I have had great teachers, and my great grandfather and grandfather are also among them. These are the qualities I've felt in them. I thank all my teachers till date and I try to take the good from them. They are my inspiration. A teacher is the most socially responsible person, I believe. I'm really proud to say that "I'm a teacher"!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Eighteen!

My clothes! My choice!

Shattering Stereotypes!